Riding on a motorcycle is in itself a very joyful experience. When it is combined with music, everything gets more lively and refreshed. No matter what situation, music accompanies all.
However, if you are thinking of listening to music on headphones while riding a motorcycle, you risk yourself. You are exposed to various dangers while you are riding, so you must be fully equipped with all the protective gear.
In this situation, a motorcycle sound system is your best alternative. And in this article, we will be reviewing the top 5 best motorcycle sound systems.
1. Kuryakyn 2720 MTX Road Thunder Motorcycle Sound Bar Plus
Kuryakyn 2720 MTX gets the top spot on our list of best motorcycle sound systems. And as we continue to tell you about its mouth-watering features, you might not resist buying it.
It comes with a design that allows you to mount this soundbar on your handlebar. It has 300 watts of power and includes an AMP USB port for charging.
Want to know the best part? It features internal 4-channels amp powers two full-range speakers with dual voice coils. This allows you to enjoy music even when you are going at a very high speed.
Moreover, it features four high-frequency silk dome tweeters with N42 grade magnets to provide you with distortion-free sound. It offers you smooth Bluetooth connectivity and also includes auxiliary input and output ports.
Another attractive feature of this soundbar is that it is weather resistant. It incorporates a built-in heat sink and self-protection circuit that combat excessive heat and voltage regulations.
- Universal articulating mounting clamps fit virtually any bars between 7/8" and 1-1/2", brackets are patent pending; Watch install video for in depth installation instructions
- Internal 4-channel amp powers two 2" x 3" full-range speakers with dual voice coils; Four high-frequency 1" silk dome tweeters with N42 grade magnets for powerful distortion-free sound at any volume level
- 4.1 Bluetooth receiver allows wireless connectivity to any Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or music device; Auxiliary input and output ports connect standard devices via 3.5 mm cable
- Durable IP66-rated housing is weather-resistant; Built-in heat sink and self-protection circuit combat excessive heat and over/under voltage regulation
- Motorcycle handlebar mounted sound bar with 300 watt peak power and 1.0 Amp USB charging port; Speaker measures 10.6" L x 2.9" diameter, bracket measures 6" L x 3" in diameter; Mounted speaker stands approximately 5.25” from center of handlebar
2. MTX MUD6SPBT Mud Series Universal 6 Speaker
Our top two recommendations of the best motorcycle sound systems are of extreme quality and on the expensive side. MTX is another incredible sound system for your motorcycle. It allows you to stream your favorite music via Bluetooth connectivity.
The best part about this speaker is its durable weatherproof design. This means that you can enjoy music while riding in any weather condition.
This sound system unit consists of four 3-inch full-range speakers and two 1-inch high-frequency tweeters. So you will enjoy the booming sound with clarity.
In addition to Bluetooth connectivity, you can also stream music via the aux input. Not just that auxiliary output allows you to connect external amplifiers or speakers.
Hence, if you are willing to spend on a quality motorcycle sound system, then this is your ideal option.
- STREAM YOUR MUSIC VIA BLUETOOTH: Integrated Bluetooth receiver allows you to stream your music in from your smartphone, tablet, or any compatible device
- DURABLE WEATHERPROOF DESIGN: All-weather construction for use on any vehicle means you can take this thing anywhere; Universal mounting clamps fit 1.75-inch and 2-inch bars
- 6 SPEAKER SYSTEM: 4 3-inch full-range speakers and 2 1-inch high-frequency tweeters produce booming sound with clarity; Power, ground, and accessory wire included for easy installation
- AUX INPUT FOR CONNECTING MP3 PLAYERS AND MORE: Auxiliary input for connecting devices like MP3 players directly via 3.5mm cable
- AUX OUTPUT TO EXPAND SOUND TO ANOTHER SOUNDBAR: Auxiliary output for connecting an external amplifier, speakers, or an additional soundbar
3. Boss Audio Systems MC470B Motorcycle Speaker
Compact design and very stylish looking, here we present you with one of the best motorcycle sound systems from Boss Audio. If you own a Harley Davidson style bike, then this sound system will suit it the best.
What we like the most about this motorcycle sound system is that it includes an amplifier. Not an ordinary amplifier because it is a class D weatherproof, compact, and Bluetooth amplifier. In addition, the speakers are also fitted with weatherproof materials.
The set includes two full-range 3 inch chrome speakers. They come with an adjustable bracket that will fit most handlebars. Moreover, you can even install an inline volume control in a place of your choice.
Lastly, the Boss Audio System offers you a platinum online warranty of 3-years. It means that you can always return the unit in case of any disappointment. However, the possibility of it is very low.
- BLUETOOTH: Play and control a vast library of your favorite music using your smartphone or MP3 device, plus plug into apps like Spotify and Pandora wirelessly
- AMPLIFIER: A Bluetooth, compact, weatherproof, class D amplifier is included.
- WEATHERPROOF: The MC470B has been outfitted with the latest weatherproofing techniques for protection against the elements
- SPEAKERS: Also included are two 3-inch, chrome, full range speakers. The adjustable brackets will fit handlebars from ranging from .75” to 1.25”
- PLAYBACK: A 3.5 mm auxiliary input is compatible with audio outputs of smartphones and MP3 players
4. GoHawk RD8 Bluetooth Motorcycle Stereo Speakers
Here’s an excellent motorcycle sound system for people who are low on budget or don’t want to spend much. It is generation 2 of GoHawk RD8 with improved mounting clamp support. It also includes 2 optional stainless steel extension mounting brackets.
The most attractive feature of it is that it is waterproof, and the central stereo unit is made with aluminum. Moreover, it even has a built-in power amplifier to provide you with a clear sound.
You can stream music on it via Bluetooth. It is compatible with numerous smartphones such as iPhone models, Samsung, and more. It also supports USB and microSD card mp3 files.
Another useful feature of this sound system is the digital display. You can set this unit not only on motorcycles but also Jet ski and marine boats. So if you want to enjoy music while you are outdoors, then the MTX sound system will assist you in it.
More: Best Gifts for Bikers
- [Gen.2 Updates:] New Mounting Clamp Supports 7/8” to 1 1/4” Handlebar. Included Set of 2 Optional Stainless Steel Extension Mounting Bracket for More Custom Installation. More Powerful Speaker Core.
- GoHawk Dual Waterproof Motorcycle Stereo Speakers Soundbar with Aluminum Housing. High-Performance Power Amplifier Built-in. Superb Crystal Sound Quality. Advanced Waterproof Design.
- 3.5mm Audio Jack AUX IN Available. Support USB and microSD Card MP3 files. (USB Charging NOT Supported). FM Radio. Digital Clock Display. Perfect for Motorcycle Scooter ATV Electric Bike. Great for Outdoor Use.
- Bluetooth Wireless: Stream Your Favorite Music and Radio Channel From Your Smartphone. Compatible with iPhone 6 / 7 / 8 / X / XR / XS / SE / 11 / 12 / 13 Pro Max, iPod, Samsung Android Galaxy S Note Series. Support connection up to 15 meters.
- Easy Installation: Comes With All Necessary Hardware and Wiring. Plug and Play. Standard 12V Power Connection. Complete 83" Long Power Cord with Ring Terminal Connector. Easy Wiring: RED and GREEN to Positive, BLACK to Negative.
5. GoHawk TS3-Q Gen.2 Motorcycle Bluetooth Speakers
Motorcycle sound systems from GoHawk are ideal for people who don’t want to dig deep in their pockets. This GoHawk TS3-Q model is another ideal option for all those who are looking for budget-friendly motorcycle sound systems.
This unit includes four 180W full range motorcycle speakers along with an aluminum stereo main unit.
The speakers’ clamps are provided with a universal fit to be set up on most handlebars. It allows you to stream music through Bluetooth connectivity, Aux, USB, and microSD card.
It also offers you two additional features, which include a clock display and an FM Radio receiver. You must note that the speakers are waterproof but not the amplifier.
It is a pretty good option, and installation is also very easy. Hence, it is one of the best motorcycle sound systems when you have a low-budget.
More: Best Motorcycle Locks
- 4-Channel GoHawk 180W Full Range Motorcycle Speakers with Aluminum Stereo Main Unit. High Performance Amplifier Built-in. Speaker Clamp Universal fit for 7/8 to 1-1/4" handlebar. Mirror mounting bracket included. Support Bluetooth Wireless connection up to 15 meters.
- 3.5mm Audio Jack AUX IN Available. Support USB and microSD Card MP3 files. FM Radio Receiver Built-in. Clock Display. Matte Black Stereo Unit Built with High Quality Aluminum Material. Perfect for Motorcycle ATV UTV Electric Bike.
- Bluetooth Wireless: Stream your favorite music and radio channel from your smartphone. Compatible with iPhone 6 / 7 / 8 / X / XR / XS / SE / 11 / 12 / 13 Pro Max, iPod, Samsung Android Galaxy S Note Series and any smartphone devices.
- Superb Crystal Sound Quality. Advanced Waterproof Speaker(Amplifier is not waterproof). Great for outdoor use. Included Optional Mini Wired Remote Control with Blue LED Back-lit Buttons and Handlebar Clamp.
- Easy Installation: Comes with all necessary hardware and wiring. Plug and Play. Standard 12V Power Connection.
Buyer’s Guide For Best Motorcycle Sound Systems
The newly modified stereo systems are equipped with unique qualities, with one common thing, which is design. It can be a little smaller or bigger, but the functionality may vary a bit.
Here are a few important factors to consider when looking for the best motorcycle sound system.
- Audio quality
The most important factor when looking for the best sound system is its Audio Quality.
It is observed that a loud music system is not as clear as the sound playing in a regular system. This phenomenon is due to the different sound waves in a system that is neglected mostly.
However, you can get a good quality sound with the required loudness by considering a sound system made up of quality material.
Most manufacturers use low price amplification material to enhance the sound, whether it’s not tested. We would suggest you buy from a trusted company as they surely have used tested materials.
For a motorcycle, it is very important to have a highly durable sound system. As mentioned earlier that the new sound system is equipped with different features.
Make sure it is water-resistant so that the rain does not ruin the happening vibe. In addition to this, the speakers should be sealed properly as they can intake a lot of dust easily and may not function again.
The sound system of a motorcycle must be lightweight. Since many bikes are designed for two persons, most sound systems are fitted on the front of the vehicle. We would suggest you look for an alternative that suits the motorcycle.
As most of the sound systems are equipped with large front-panels for particular vehicles. Choosing a small system will give you the flexibility of fitting, whether on the side panels or to the front.
All the features of a product depend upon this factor and how valuable it is to your money. The more you pay, the more you get.
The new modern audio system is equipped with advanced features like artificial intelligence similarity, solar charging cells, etc. There are different ranges of sound systems available to make sure you get the most budget-friendly product.
In terms of this, headphones are not considered safe for the motorcycle because of the system’s loudness and noise cancellation features.
It is important to choose a sound system that suits your motorcycle’s need, keeping this thing in mind that the surrounding sound is audible too.
This factor is important to consider as the motorcycle generates a knocking sound when moving due to usage of a fuel with low knocking resistance and the engine via different factors that produce knocking.
The sound system you are taking must be loud enough to neutralize the knocking sound while being audible to you while riding.
Apart from everything, this is the factor that determines the quality of the product and how long it will last. And does the service provide a timely repair of the sound system and availability of the parts? Such factors help make a sound system the best among all as they enhance the sound system’s quality to another level.
Benefits of Motorcycle Sound Systems
They will make your trips more enjoyable
Are you tired of listening to your motorcycle engine when on long trips? In this case, you can change this with high-quality motorcycle speakers.
There will be times when you will need silence, but go for some high-end speakers when you feel you want to share your playlist with the world.
Perfect outdoor entertainment
Using an audio system on your motorcycle makes it easy for you to listen to music anywhere and anytime you like as long as you have your motorcycle.
It doesn’t matter if you are stuck in traffic or watching the sunrise somewhere far away from home. The sound system will keep you entertained.
Ease of navigation
You can profit from the connectivity options offered by some motorcycle audio systems. You just need to connect your smartphone to the system, and you can get the directions directly from the speakers without stopping.
Also, you won’t have to keep looking down at your phone for directions.
Motorcycle show points
Are you planning to participate in a motorcycle show? High-quality sound systems will help you score some extra points since some judges have their eyes on the sound upgrades.
Though the sound system can’t guarantee that you will take the top prize, they may put you in a better spot.
Boost resale value
Installing a sound system on your motorcycle will boost its overall value.
If you want to sell your motorcycle in the near future, the sound system may be why you will get more money from the sale. Some buyers may be looking for such features and spend more money when they find them.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install my motorcycle speakers?
The installation instructions will vary from product to product, depending on the maker. The first step is mounting the stereo in a place that you can easily access, get power, and the sound is good.
After this, run the wiring and mounting for all individual speakers in an area of your choosing. You need to make sure that you use electrical tape to secure any exposed wiring.
How much power do I need?
On average, sound systems give off about 10-15 watts of power per speaker. For louder motorcycles, this isn’t enough to hear your music at cruising speeds. If you have a loud motorcycle, search for a product with at least 300 watts of power.
Should the Speakers be waterproof?
You should choose waterproof speakers unless planning on keeping your motorcycle parked in a garage 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Waterproof speakers will continue to operate regardless of what mother nature has in store.
After installing an aftermarket speaker, will my handlebar controls still work?
Yes, they should still work as expected. Some makers also offer installation kits that are compatible with factory controls.
However, suppose you are worried about mixing up the wires or controls while installing the speaker. In that case, you could have a professional install it for you.
Why does my amplifier keep blowing my speakers?
That often happens if you buy an amplifier separate from the speakers. If the amplifier has a low impedance, it will blow out your speakers in consequence.
Also, check the wiring of the speakers and the amplifier. Improper wiring can lead to burnt wires, overheating, or worse, blown-out speakers.
Is it normal for the motorcycle speakers shutting down on their own?
Some makers fit their speakers with automatic switches to shut the speakers when the motorcycle is turned off. Also, it can be a slight electromagnetic interference. You can fix that quickly by moving the speaker’s power cord away from the engine.
How do you ground an aftermarket motorcycle stereo?
Suppose there aren’t specific instructions with your stereo, and the stereo is not already grounded. In that case, you can ground it by securing the ground wire to screw.
Is it loud enough?
This is one of the essential features of a motorcycle sound system. If you cannot hear it, what’s the point? Keep in mind also the wind noise and loud pipes on your bike.
Many systems sacrifice the sound output for a smaller, better-looking speaker. You have to consider these as they may not be heard above 40mph and turn into a very expensive trinket.
Where should I mount the speaker?
One of the first things you need to consider is the speaker mount location. While standard vehicles have specific areas designed for speakers, most motorcycles do not.
With that said, specific stereo systems come with speakers that can be mounted directly onto the handlebars. This is a perfect location as it offers high-quality sound and it doesn’t affect the way of operating the motorcycle.
Will engine noise interfere with the sound speaker?
This is a genuine possibility with motorcycle sound systems. The ground loops and “rev” noise can dilute the sound produced by the sound system.
While this isn’t a critical problem, it’s still something that most people prefer avoiding. Most modern speaker systems have noise filtering built-in. However, you can reduce engine noise interference by using a noise suppression device.
Motorcycle sound systems are going to be a great addition to your motorcycle that will enhance your riding experience even more.
To ensure that you get yourself the best motorcycle sound system, go through the buyer’s guide to know the key factors. If you buy a sound system with low-quality sound, then it would ruin your whole experience and value for money.
Our favorite pick from the above list is Kuryakyn 2720 MTX, though it is expensive but provides great value for money. It is one of the best motorcycle sound systems available on Amazon, and you will not be disappointed with buying it.