It’s hot outside, and you need to cool off! 12 volt portable air conditioners can help with this, but which one is right for your needs? There are many options available.
You might not know what they all look like or how to pick a good brand from among the ones on offer in stores – we have compiled an exhaustive list of considerations that will make it easier than ever before so keep reading if still unsure at any point during our discussion about portable units because once these points have been made clear then picking out exactly what type suits best becomes child’s play.
1. Evapolar evaCHILL Portable Conditioner
- 3-IN-1 COOLING – Evapolar evaCHILL cools & humidifies the air using evaporative technology, the cartridge material also catches large dust particles. Super portable device with a handy handle, 4 fan speeds and one button control.
- NATURAL PERSONAL COOLING - Efficiently cools your personal space using evaporative technology. Ideal solution for hot, dry climates. Contrary to personal air conditioners, evaCHILL doesn’t use Freon-like liquids.
- ENERGY-EFFICIENT & COST-SAVING – consumes 7.5W (up to 100x less than an AC unit) and saves your bills.
- 100% SAFE FOR BREATHING. The cartridge inside the device contains natural material produced from basalt (a rock formation). Long-lasting and hygienically persistent in opposite to cellulose, no cleaning required. *Please, note: the natural color of evaBREEZE bazalt-based cartridge material may differ from white to dark green.
- POWERED BY patented evaBREEZE technology, providing an exceptional cooling effect thanks to outstanding evaporative properties of cartridge material.
The Evapolar evaCHILL personal air cooler and humidifier is one of the most top-rated portable cooling devices for cars. This small unit can be used in any hatchback on your commute, as its dashboard size won’t take up too much room or weigh you down with a heavy air conditioner box!
The device also provides relief from hot summer days by lowering humidity levels which causes sweatiness – perfect if it’s already tough enough sitting inside an uncomfortable car seat without worrying about what else might make things even worse like excessive heat stroke risks (like having this thing running full blast).
Evapolar evaCHILL is the perfect gadget for a sweat-free drive. Simply connect it with your car’s USB port and get cool, comfortable air in no time at all!
More: Best Seat Belt Pillow
2. FiveJoy 360 Degree Rotatable Car Fan
- Cool Down Your Car Interior in Seconds: Blow hot air out of your parked car in seconds with the 12V DC electric car fan. Ideal for hot summer days (and hot climates) our 2-speed fans will help cool your car interior and keep you, your passengers, your pets or kids comfortable.
- Remove All Smells & Keep Your Car Fresh: If you are looking for an effective way to remove unwanted cigarette, pet, smoke or food odors from your vehicle interior, look no further. Our cooling fan for cars will improve ventilation and air circulation, thus eliminating unpleasant smells.
- Super-Easy to Set Up & Adjust to Your Needs: Our 12V car dashboard fan is equipped with strong adhesive stickers that will keep it securely in place on your dashboard or arm rest area. Plus, you can adjust the air flow direction of each fan and make sure it covers all areas of your car.
- Weak Air Conditioner? No problem! Defrost your windshield in seconds in winter with our strong 2-speed fan for cars. Make hot days more bearable even if your AC does not get the job done. Make sure that you and your passengers are comfy even on long road trips or traffic jams.
- One Electric Car Fan for All Brands & Models: The FiveJoy universal electric fan is suitable for every small, compact, medium or large vehicle, SUV, sedan, car, van, truck, RV, ATV or boat with a 12V DC cigarette lighter socket. Why are you still sitting in a scorching-hot car?
The FiveJoy 360 Degree Rotatable Car Fan is the perfect solution for anyone who needs relief on hot days. It has two speeds, and you can use it in your car, boat, or other vehicles! This product also plugs into a cigarette charger to power up quickly so that you’re able to get back out there sooner rather than later
One great thing about this item from FiveJoy? The fact that it’s rotatably mounted allows users’ flexibility when deciding where best place their AC unit throughout different spaces inside of any building–including homes such as trailers and mobile homes too (though not outdoors). Furthermore, while powering off takes less time thanks to its quick-stop technology, using this item like a fan is also efficient. It can be run for 30 minutes after the AC power has been disconnected.
3. Alagoo 12V 6” Car Cooling Fan
- 【Big Clamp Design】- This car vehicle cooling fan is designed with a big adjustable clamp, suitable for mounting on car and vehicle. The mouth of the clip can up to 2 inches(5cm).
- 【Rotatable】- High efficient fan rotating, remove the smell quickly and effectively because of the rotation powerful fans.
- 【Quiet & 2.5m Cord】- Strong wind but low noise. Come with 2.5m cigarette lighter plug power cable which makes the fan extremely convenient, feeling cool for your Baby, Guests or Pet Dog at back seat.
- 【Low Energy Consumption】- Low energy consumption, low noise but strong wind and the big clip to secure the fan to firmly fix in the car. 12V powered portable car fan, adjustable direction fan, blow hot air out to the car and vehicle.
- 【Multiple Application】- Excellent Car Ventilation Fan Choice with Kids Safe Design. Fits to all family car, small compact medium or large full size Sedan Van Truck SUV RV ATV boat with 12V cigarette lighter socket (Not for 24V Trucks).
The Alagoo 12V 6” Car Cooling Fan is a great option for those on a budget, and it comes with an attachable clip to put anywhere in your car. The fan consumes very little energy while still offering customizable speeds levels through its rotating switch; additionally, power cable length means that this can go right where you need it without any issues – even if that’s the backseat!
A portable 12V car fan that’s powerful, efficient, and effective! The mouth of the clip can fit up to 2 inches (5cm) into your vehicle. It has an adjustable direction for blowing hot air out towards where you want it- whether it’s under the hood or behind the seats. It is perfect for use in trucks, cars, RVs, or boats – just power it up with your cigarette lighter socket found under the dashboard.
The high-quality rotating fans help speed along the removal process while also promising strong wind, which securely fixes them firmly onto any type of material surface without risk-taking damage to such surfaces over time.
4. KMMOTORS Kooling Car Fan
- [AIR CIRCULATION] Immediately help to cool down the temperature. Reducing humidity of car interior windshield on rainy days. Quickly remove unwanted cigaettes smoke, dust, or pet odor smell.
- [COMPATIBILITY] Power supplier needed. can be used with cigarette lighter socket adapter and also USB portable charger.
- [NO BATTERY] Don't worry about the battery explosion when the temperature gets too hot in summer. no battery in KMMOTORS cooling fan
- [QUIET & 3 SPEEDS] KMMOTORS Cooling fan has powerful and quiet motor. 3 fan speed meet the needs of different environments and temperature changes.
- [4.8 FEET LONG] USB cable is long enough to set wherever you want.
The Kooling Car Fan is the perfect product for those who want to keep their car cool while driving. This fan can attach anywhere on your headrest, and it comes with two different heads, so you are able to adjust how much air flows out from each side of this device!
The three-speed settings allow users to choose between slow-motion fans or high-intensity exercises without sacrificing either one’s efficiency in operation time, but don’t worry – they’re both very quiet at low speeds, too (which might be helpful if listening through headphones).
This fan is ideal for your car, camper van, RV, and even boat. It runs on 12 volts of power, so you can plug it right up to your cigarette lighter in your car or truck. The built-in battery means it’s ready to go when you are! Bring this fan along during road trips or camping trips and use it as a fan or air cooler.
The fan is made of plastic, and the blades are metal. It has an ON/OFF switch, speed knob, and a circle where you can attach it to your car’s headrest (which is very convenient). It does not take up much space, and you can fit 2 in your car with no problem at all.
5. HITOPTY 12v Electric Car Dash Fan
- No Leaf Cage Shape Design –12v Electric Car Fan with 2 Speed Adjustable , Makes the Wind More Cool and Safe for Babies or Pets, Worry-free for your Travel/Road Trip.
- Portable Easy to Carry – You can put the Fan on the Dashboard/Console or Armrest Area. Air outlet can be Rotated, it Can be set at Multiple Angles.
- 2 Speed - With Low Speed and High-Speed for Choice, The High Efficient Cage Fan Rotates Up and Down Inside the Base, Removing out of the Hot Air from Parking or Summer Hot Day.
- DC Power Options make it a Great Choice for your 12v Car, Truck, RV, Sleeper Cab, SUV, ATV, Van, Boat, Golf Cart, Motorhome, Pickup.
- Low Consumption and Low Noise – It’s Nicely Quiet, moves a Lot of Air with Low Consumption, Come with High Quality Adhesive Stickers to Secure the Fan to Dashboard/Console or Armrest Area.
The Hitopt 12V car dash fan is the perfect tool for your vehicle. It has a lightweight and compact design that can be powered by an outlet from any standard plug, making it easy to take with you when needed!
The enclosed motor prevents noise pollution while keeping things cool inside of vehicles on hot days or nights without electricity nearby; all this, in addition, top, looks like much larger contractor fans that won’t block visibility as much behind them either.
The HITOPTY 12V Dash Fan is the perfect accessory to any car or RV. It offers both low and high-speed modes, which allows you to choose between a refreshing breeze that feels like summer in November all year long or just enough wind for your morning commute without feeling too chilly on those cold air mornings when winter seems certain
The shape of this fan makes it really easy – no matter where you put them (dashboard mountable side OR under an overhead console).
There are tons of options here: from choosing what speed suits best how much air conditioning/heating needs there might be currently going through their house at home; mounting location(s) inside vehicle cabin such as below seat headliners if using open roof sedans & convertibles with exposed headliner areas allowing for some airflow, cup holders & even some pop-out center console-mounted small fans are also suitable for this fan.
What to look for in a 12volt portable air conditioner
There are many reasons for wanting to cool your car with a portable air conditioner.
Maybe you spend a lot of time in your car, and it can get uncomfortably hot. Maybe you’ve broken down somewhere remote and need to keep the windows up, so passersby don’t hear you call for help. Or maybe you just want to be able to work or sleep comfortably on long drives without having to stop or roll the windows down every hour or two.
In any case, if you’re going to invest in an air conditioner, there are a few things that will allow you to get the most out of your purchase.
The first consideration you should make is the cooling capacity of your air conditioner.
This will determine how quickly your car cools down, as well as how many people can use it at once. If you plan on using an air conditioner for both driver and passenger, go with one that has a cooling capacity high enough to accommodate both.
Although a more powerful air conditioner will be more expensive to run, you’ll invest back through the comfort it provides.
A good 12v air conditioner should have a cooling capacity of around 30-50 CFM.
If you’re using a portable air conditioner, chances are you’re going to want to use it on the go. An energy efficient unit will allow your A/C system and a car battery to charge simultaneously when driving.
If you choose one that isn’t particularly power efficient, your car’s alternator won’t be able to keep up, and your battery will be constantly drained, even while the engine is running.
If you intend to use your A/C system every day, look for one with at least a 5 amp draw.
For those who plan to use their air conditioners sparingly or only on long drives, a lower energy draw will do.
The last thing you want is to use your air conditioner only to find that gives either too cold air or, worse yet, blows hot air.
A good 12v unit should allow you to have cool air in tropical climates and give more heat when you’re stuck in an unexpected snowstorm.
One of the first things you need to consider is portability. Do you need something that can be easily moved, or are you looking for one that will stay in the same place at all times? This might help determine what size and shape are most appropriate for you.
Some units are designed with weight in mind – others aren’t. Many units offer wheels (like on suitcases), making life easier when it comes to mobility; some do not. If you intend to only use your unit inside, this point isn’t an issue; however, if you want to take it outside or in different rooms, this must be considered carefully prior to purchase.
The size of the unit is also important, depending on its portability and your needs. Many people think that bigger is better when it comes to air conditioners – but this isn’t always the case. There are many different sizes from which you can choose, so be sure to carefully consider these aspects before making any final decisions.
A smaller unit might suit someone who doesn’t really want a lot of noise or plans to take it with them frequently. Still, if you intend on having it for a longer period of time and permanently located in one room, then a larger model might be more appropriate for your requirements. Make sure to measure up first before purchasing, though!
You should also consider power use. Not everyone has access to a large supply of electrical outlets, so taking this into account might be necessary for you. If you can’t plug your unit into the window or wall, then it will need an inverter that provides a 12-volt direct current (DC) and converts it to 120 volts AC (alternating current).
These can come in various sizes. While some are relatively small and light, others weigh quite a lot and take up more space than average: so evaluate carefully what type suits best according to your portability requirements and personal situation.
More: Best RFID Blocking Cards
The setup is another thing to consider before purchasing. There are A/C units with different installation requirements available on the market. Still, it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you don’t want any installation at all, an inflatable unit can be purchased and set up in a matter of minutes without the need for anyone but you.
These portable units are great if you want to use them temporarily and move them around quite often – they also happen to be cheaper than most other models anyway.
If you want a more permanent solution, then you will need to get one that has an installation kit included. These are usually fixed in place and connected to the power supply – but not always.
This is another thing that can make life much easier when it comes to portable units. Some come with remote control included, so you don’t have to get up from your chair to change settings.
This can be especially useful if you have medical issues or problems getting around or find it hard reaching things on high shelves… this type of unit is extremely convenient for many people and keeps things simple while at home.
Frequently asked questions about 12 volt portable air conditioners
What size should I get?
The unit’s size depends on how much space you’re cooling and what your specific requirements are. Some come in various sizes, while others only offer one, so make sure to properly compare before buying.
What kind do I need?
This depends entirely on your personal situation and the specific situation you are dealing with. There are many types available on the market, including window units, split systems, mini-splits, floor fans… so be careful to consider exactly what type suits best for your needs before making any decisions.
A unit can be either permanently fixed or portable – but obviously, some are better suited for certain purposes than others.
If an installation is required, then what do I have to watch out for?
You will need a portable unit that has an installation kit included – some allow for easy fixing while others don’t. So choose carefully depending on your needs and how far you want to go with it before purchasing.
Can I run a portable air conditioner off of a cigarette lighter?
Yes, most can. You’ll need to check the product description for specifics on power consumption and whether it is compatible with your car’s electrical system.
Can they run on batteries?
Some air conditioners can run off of a car battery. However, if chosen, you’ll need to unplug the unit before starting your engine or using power outlets to avoid draining your battery.
Can they run on solar panels?
Some portable air conditioners can be connected to solar panels. You’ll need to check the product description for specifics on power consumption and whether it is compatible with your car’s electrical system.
Does a portable air conditioner use a compressor?
Yes, a portable air conditioner uses a compressor to draw the heat from the air. The evaporator coil draws the heat from the air and transfers it to the condenser, which cools the hot air into a cold liquid, which is then turned back into gas. The cold gas is then passed over the evaporator coil again to re-cool it.
Do they have eco mode?
Some portable air conditioners have an eco mode, which uses less power than the standard mode.
Is it hard to install and maintain a portable unit?
Most portable units are fairly easy to install and maintain. Some brands may be trickier to work with than others, so make sure you keep this in mind when deciding on one.
What are swamp coolers?
A swamp cooler is an evaporative air conditioner. They are most commonly used in dry, arid areas where regular air conditioning isn’t necessary.
What voltage does it require?
As mentioned above, this type of unit requires 12 volts of direct current (DC), so you will need an inverter to convert it if your vehicle uses a standard house current (120 volts AC). Make sure you get the right kind before buying because otherwise, there’s no point to it – getting a unit that can be directly plugged into a wall socket is much more convenient.
What size inverter do I require?
This depends on the capacity of your portable air conditioner and what type of DC voltage it requires. Some only use small inverters, but others require larger ones – make sure to check before purchasing!
Do these come with remotes?
Yes, most units come with this feature included as standard. But not all types have them available, so be careful to consider exactly which one suits your needs best.
Do I need one with a thermostat?
This is somewhat of a personal preference, but it can be very useful if you want to set a specific temperature and forget about it. These units often allow for the temperature to be adjusted from within the same room as well… so think about whether you might need this feature or not before buying.
How long will they last?
Inflatable units are usually more durable because they lack complex mechanical parts that could fail. Still, rigid ones obviously last longer because they are made out of stronger materials. So consider your requirements carefully before making any decisions – an inflatable unit might suit you best if you don’t expect them to last forever.
How long can I expect them to last?
This really depends on which type you get because inflatable units tend to wear out fast if they are used frequently, but solid ones usually last longer.
What is the difference between 12 volts and 120 volts?
This type of unit can either be plugged into a DC socket or run off of an inverter. So you have to choose depending on your personal preferences. There are many other options available as well, including split systems, window units, etc.… so consider what you need most carefully before making any decisions!
How do they work?
There are many types that work in different ways… some use a cooling system while others will then add moisture into the air. So it’s best to read our reviews carefully to learn more about the specific type before buying. Or simply check online for detailed explanations if you want to learn more about one in particular.
What is the wattage?
These units come with different power ratings, so it’s best to think about exactly what you want before making any decisions. Consider your needs carefully, or check online for detailed explanations if you are unsure – then pick accordingly after learning more about them!
How is the noise level?
This is very important because some will be much noisier than others. So consider the details of each option carefully before making a final decision because you don’t want to regret buying something noisy that makes it harder to relax at the end of a long day…
Do they come with a warranty?
Most brands offer warranties for their products, but there are exceptions. So make sure to check before buying if you want to be 100% confident about your purchase – most companies will allow for returns within 30 days of the date of delivery.
We hope that you found our reviews helpful and that this guide has helped to answer any questions about the 12 volt portable air conditioners that you might have had. They are very useful things to have if you need the air conditioning on the go, so do consider purchasing one of these units if that is your goal – it can be hard to buy them online without any prior knowledge, though!